Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sometimes I wonder.....

Oh my! Sometimes I just have to laugh out loud at myself and wonder why on earth I can't seem to leave a painting alone! So today I took this painting to a cafe' where I sell my art....not because I'm happy with it but because it's driving me crazy and even more hours on it, LOL! If you enlarge this it is much easier to see the bumpy nature of the texture and the variation in the the colors.

So here is how it started.

I used a 11 x 13 cradled hardwood and slapped on about three different kinds of texture, let it dry for a day and A half and I spray-painted it purple. When started to paint..... Yuk! Didn't like it… spray painted it black…


I didn't like the black… So I put gesso over the black :-) and so it goes on and on! The next photo shows metallic paints over the black spray paint. I don't want to bore you with the zillion stages this painting has gone through :-). 

I used a palette knife and scraped on the paint, sometimes letting it dry but not always… I just had fun and did not worry too much about color mixing. I switched back-and-forth between using the palette knife in my fingers since I had to get down to the bottom layer. When I took a photo of it I realized I did not like the color combinations. 


Go for the Gold… Gold fixes everything right?! Wrong :-). Although the more I look at this one the more I kind of like it…ha! It will be interesting to see me get back to this array of colors!
The next one is the current stage however I'm not sure it will last long either…  both above and below I used Inca Golds by Viva Decor and spread them on with my fingers. Gotta love fingerpainting!
The title of this for now at least :-) is "Deep Under The Earth." It looks rather volcanic, don't you think?
Thank you so, so much for stopping by and I would love to hear your comments!

7 comments :

  1. I really like it, l think it looks earthy, rocky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the finished piece, Becky. Deep under the earth seems apt. I love all that texture(y) goodness and I think the inca metallics were the right thing to do here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by Sue! I wish I could say I like this one better, but I think it was good therapy… Just overworked :-).
    The Inca Golds were easy to apply, I just wish they had more color options... one can never have enough metallic colors :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, I loved every stage of this painting!!
    I can't believe that you kept going because you did not like the layers- they were gorgeous!! Sometimes, I just walk away for a few days maybe a week then come back- but whatever you decide- this is beautiful no matter what stage it is in! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jackie! I must've spent 10 hours on this painting… Constantly switching it up because something was bothering me and then going back to the same color palette LOL! Now that I see the photos the last stage is my least favorite. However, the good thing is it looks better camera :-).

    ReplyDelete